Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Nixing the Negative

     I am currently reading the book Calm My Anxious Heart with my bible study. The book is about finding contentment in all of life's circumstances. The chapter we read this past week encouraged us to make a list of the negatives and the positives that we think about ourselves. As I began to think of the negative things I say my weight was one of the things that came up. While most of the time I remain positive reminding myself of all of my hard work and how far I have come I also allow the negativity to sneak in. I often find the negativity sneak in when I am getting dressed to go somewhere. If I can wear shorts and a t-shirt I am golden but if I have to wear anything else the negativity quietly and quickly sneaks in. I will change my shirt 50 times thinking I look fat in whatever I put on so I hide behind a cardigan and scarf. Now that the weather is warming up it is very difficult to hid behind anything. As I wrote down some of the negative things I followed them with positive thoughts such as I am blessed to have grown up in a family where my parents could afford to feed us. I am blessed to be able to work 3 jobs now to be able to afford to live on my own and feed myself healthy foods. I am blessed with the love for cooking. I am blessed that someone has gifted me with the gift to continue attending weight watchers meetings. I am blessed with the supportive community that I have from other weight watchers members, family, friends, and coworkers. I am blessed with friends who encourage me along the way especially when I am feeling down. I could go on and on for days with my blessings. We have to choose to nix the negative and give all of our negative thoughts to Christ. We have to choose to be thankful for all of our circumstances in our lives, no matter how hard they may seem.  We can do this because we know that  we have a God who loves us unconditionally and is working all things together for the good of those who love Him. "Beware of what you dwell on for that you shall surely become." We become what we think friends! Be careful with your thoughts. Turn your negative into positive. Praise God for where you are in your life and continue to lean on Him for strength. I have not come this far in my journey by my own strength. My strength comes from the Lord and for that I am forever grateful! Whenever you begin to think negative thoughts about your own body or life reflect on Psalm 139. Know that God created you and knitted you together in your mothers womb. Know that He knows every detail of your life and loves your with an everlasting, unconditional love. Know that He has a plan and purpose for your life. Rest in His strength, faithfulness and love. 

"For you formed my inward parts;
    you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
    my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
    intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
    the days that were formed for me,
    when as yet there was none of them."


                                                              -Psalm 139:13-16

No comments:

Post a Comment