So I know this is 3 blogs in one night but I feel like I have so much to catch up on. This blog is not about my weight loss but about something that is dear to my heart. About 5 years ago I went to my first beach project. We spent the summer in Panama City Beach, Florida. I went there thinking I was a christian but the truth was that I was absolutely miserable. In my first couple of weeks there I began questioning God, who he was and who I was. I was a person who seemed happy all the time but I was constantly seeking acceptance from others which made me miserable. I never felt loved by my friends due to my insecurities. After many of talks with several different people, rallies, prayers and small groups I final realized that I was excepted in God's eyes in the perfect image he created me to be. That summer changed my life forever. On July 9,2008 I gave my life to Christ. I can remember that night as if it were yesterday. A few weeks before that night we had a small group and Melanie Rogers was our leader that night. My small group leader for the summer was Jenna Lyle but she was out of town for the weekend.That night in small group we talked about the things we treasured above God. She took us to the beach and gave us each a penny. She told us to take that penny and let it represent everything we treasured above God and to throw it as far out into the ocean as possible letting go of it all and to treasure God above everything in our lives. I couldn't do it that night. I wasn't ready to let go of it all. I liked the things of this world way to much to let them go. A few weeks later on July 9 I was sitting on the beach with my friend Elliot and after talking for while I realized I was ready to let it all go. I was ready to let go of everything I was holding on to and treasuring above the Lord and trust the Lord with my life. I was ready to give the Lord my life and to follow him. That was the absolute BEST decision I have ever made in my life!!! Ever since that day my life has been dramatically different and I couldn't be more happy.
I went back for my second and final beach project in 2009. That was such a challenging summer! My leader was Kristina Stone and boy was she tough ;) She challenged me and pushed me in ways I didn't think I could be challenged. I can tend to be a very surfacy person but she didn't let me be. She dug deep into the root of things. Just when I thought I had something figured out she continued to dig deeper. That was a very tough and challenging summer but I am so incredibly thankful for it. Both of my leaders each summer played a huge roll in my life! They both pushed and challenged me in ways I didn't know were possible. I am so grateful for the opportunities that I had at beach project and the opportunities that I had with my small group leaders and the girls in my small groups.
The reason I wanted to share my story with you guys is because it is summer time again which means beach project time!! I am not going this year but there is a group from LSU and Southeastern that will be going to Tampa project. They will be out there for 10 weeks learning how to study God's word, how to live it out, and how to evangelize. They will make amazing friendships that will hopefully last for a lifetime. As you can tell from my story above this is something that is dear to my heart. This group of students that are going to project are pretty much all freshmen and sophomores. They will get the opportunity to come back to their campus and to put to use what they learn while they are at beach project. They will learn how to share the gospel with others and how to make disciples. I am so excited for this group that is going!! I was with most of them last week and they are all so excited to be going which is so encouraging to see. It may not be the easiest summer of their lives but it hopefully will be the best, most life changing summer of their lives. I will be visiting at the end of July and can not wait to hear about what God is doing so far in their lives this summer!! :)
Please be praying with me for these students. Their names are Caroline, Carrie, Emily, Lauren, Brooke, Mercy, Drew, Matt, Matt, Andrew and Eric. Two of my really good friends will also be there as staff members helping to lead the project. Please be praying for them as well. There names are Laura Jo and Austin. I am so excited for each and everyone of these students to get this amazing, life changing opportunity.
Along with the students who go to Tampa project we also have some students who go overseas. Throughout my time with campus outreach I have seen teams go to Mexico, Brazil, and Thailand. This year there are teams going to China, Thailand and New Zealand. I would also ask you to join in prayer with me for the teams going to these countries. I have not been able to experience going overseas but I have heard amazing stories! I pray for the work God is going to do in the time they are out there, for their health and for their safety. I do not know many of the people on the teams but I do have a few friends of mine that I do know on the team. My friend Will is going with the team to China and my friends Jenn and Ty are leading the team to Brazil. I am excited to hear their stories when they return home from their countries. I know God is going to do some amazing work with the teams in these countries.
No comments:
Post a Comment